24 April 2013

World Book Night :)

 
 
 
Yesterday was World Book Night and I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of the 20,000 who gave out 20 copies of their book choice. I chose The Reader by Bernard Schlink.
 
It's an awesome book and I really enjoyed it when I read it a couple of years ago. Some of you may have seen the film which had Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes in. You can see the trailer for it here. 
 
I chose to give the books out at the gates of the nursery madam goes to. This was because I figured most of the mums (and dads) get little time to read and it's easier to have someone give you a book and say "Here, this one is really good" than try to pick something.
 
I didn't have anyone that refused to take one, which I was thankful for. I did have people asking for a book after they'd all gone which made me wish I'd had more to give. And I got one mum who said she *never* read books but would give it a go!
 
There were a couple of people who'd heard of the film and it was nice to have a chat about the themes of the book with them. I didn't warn anyone about any of the content as I was giving to grown ups, but after one of the discussions I had I did wonder whether I should have warned them. But I didn't know when I read it...
 
A full list of all the titles for this year can be found at that clinky link. I know a couple of my friends were giving out books too. Over at Small Print Larger they gave out The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency. Which apparently also involved a small amount of guide dog harassment. Not cool people, not cool.
 
I can't believe there are still people who don't know the rules about assistance dogs. And don't respect the owners. Or let their dogs attack them. No wonder guide dogs (and all the other amazing assistance animals) only have short working careers. I'd want to retire too if that were me.
 
Teaching madam how to behave with dogs and why assistance dogs are different wasn't exactly hard. And she's hard to train about anything! ;)
 
Oh, she's gone to school as Goldilocks today. Cause, you know, why not... 



  

No comments: