31 May 2014

Reading Challenge - May Update

It's the end of the month already! How did that happen? Today I am mainly just overexcited because I have new glasses... Its been four years since the last new pair so it was about time for a change. I have also got new sunglasses as the restrictions have changed and I could use my NHS voucher. Free second pair offers are the best...


OK, so, books. I have been reading more slowly this month, just the one book at a time. But I seem to have read pretty much the same as other months. I think because I read at work on my break and at lunch. 

My book from The List this month was The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I did like it and I can see what all the fuss was about but I was slightly disappointed. It just felt like it could have been more. The story takes place over the course of many years and there are also several other players that we read about along the way. The main plot is a competition between two Illusionists and there protégés.

The two young students are bound together in youth and then separately taught all their master believes they need. They are then set against each other in a competition to the death. Though the students are unaware that this is the ultimate end to their game, initially. 

Events are played out through the Night Circus, both creating new tents and illusions to outperform the other. Whilst one knows who his competitor is, the other does not. Eventually the participants fall in love and they try and effect an escape from their destined end. They recruit someone else to take over their enchantments and but for one final act almost completely succeed. They are trapped within the Circus, but free to be together. 

As I said, good story. But there were so many side plots and interruptions that it was all just a bit flabby. I would have loved a tighter, punchier tale. I liked it, but not enough that I think I will be reading it again. 

The full list of books I read this month is:
1. Sanctum by Sarah Fine - 30/4/14 ~ 2/5/14
2. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - 2/5/14 ~ 8/5/14
3. Fractured by Sarah Fine - 8/5/14 ~ 11/5/14
4. Grounded by G.P. Ching - 12/5/14 ~ 14/5/14
5. Elephant Moon by John Sweeny - 16/5/14 ~ 20/5/14
6. Insurgent by Veronica Roth - 20/5/14 ~ 22/5/14
7. Allegiant by Veronica Roth - 22/5/14 ~ 24/5/14
8. I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou - 28/5/14 ~ 29/5/14.


That last book I hadn't planned on reading, but with the passing of Maya Angelou I really wanted to reread it. I also didn't read any Heyer this month as I just didn't fancy it. In fact for the first time all the books I read, barring that last one, were eBooks. 

I've got next months book lined up and am currently reading one that will have to roll over. I've not read much of it but am really getting into it. 

And that's about it for this month. As ever it remains to say that my reading challenge was inspired by essbeevee and her books are amazing posts. 

What have you been reading? 

Love, Pearl. 


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow I really need to crack on with my reading! I'm currently reading Insurgent by Veronica Roth after reading Divergent a few weeks back, every time I pick it up I can't seem to put it down - it's just finding those moments to spare a few hours in the first place! x
Sarah - hereyoume.co.uk

Unknown said...

I made a conscious decision to get back into reading this year and have suddenly found I have more time for it than I thought! I think making myself step back from constantly being on Twitter helped that!

And I've really enjoyed the Divergent trilogy, I've started on yet another trilogy now and I'm already hooked and only about 20% through the first one!